Photos and Release Form


Whether you are hiring a professional photographer or taking photos on your own, you must use the University's model release forms to obtain written permission to photograph or videotape subjects. Keep these legal forms on file in your office. To obtain a release form that you can personalize with the name of your college or department in the upper right-hand corner, download the Photo Release Form.

While Strategic Marketing and Communications does not have a staff photographer, Academic Technology provides photography and image processing services for instructional use, based on available resources. For more information, email

Additionally, Strategic Marketing and Communications offers the campus community a library of campus images for download from the University's image library archive. Visit our photo library for images to use in any SF State collateral needs.

Need some guidance for taking your own photos? Download a tip sheet from Professor of Photojournalism Ken Kobre.